Friday, June 06, 2008

Practice #5

May 25

Note: Going to Reston and then getting ready to leave for Vacation, really messed up my brain. Trying to catch up again!

P.R.A.C.T.I.C.E. Definition: A custom or habit of doing something.


Trusting God for the impossible, the unknown, and the unseen

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust the Lord with all your heart, and don't depend on your own understanding. Remember the Lord in all you do, and he will give you success.

Quote:
“Act as though it were impossible to fail.” Winston Churchill

I'm reading a book called “In a Pit with a Lion on a Snow Day” by Mark Batterson. It's based on the acts of a dude named Benaiah, in 2 Samuel 23:20-21. Basically he kileed to of Moabs mightiest warriors, fought and killed a lion in a pit, on a snowy day, and killed an Egyptian warrior when the warrior had a spear and Benaiah only had a club. Benaiah goes on to become the captain of David's army. A pretty impressive story. But the point the author is making is that we have to trust God enough to face the impossible, the unknown, and the unseen. Because those experiences just might prepare us for something bigger and better that God has in mind. Benaiah acted like it was impossible to fail and he succeeded
Thankfully I don't think any of us are going to run into angry warriors, or lions in a pit, on a snow day. But we do face challenges. You face challenges at home, at work, and in serving at Crossroads. The question is will you run away from the challenges, or will you trust God completely, for the impossible, the unknown, and the unseen?
Proverbs 3:5-6 has been my favorite Bible verse for many years. It's so easy to start relying on ourselves, on what we know, and what we can control. But it also then becomes so easy to avoid our challenges and opportunities. The only way we can truly act as though it's impossible to fail is by completely trusting God. The only way we'll win our battles with lions, in pits, on snow days, is by letting God lead and guide us. Because if I went on my own understanding, I wouldn't be getting anywhere near that pit or the lion!

Question for this week:
Am I trusting God and letting Him lead my life?
What are my lions that I need to conquer and with God's help act as though it's impossible to fail?

No comments: