Monday, August 21, 2006

Does it work?

Does a family worship experience really work? Do kids and parents really use what they learned on Sunday all week long?

My personal answer is a resounding YES! A little over a year ago my family and I were visiting my brother in SC. The church that developed this family experience idea, North Point Community Church, is located in Atlanta, GA. Since we were so close we decided to head to Atlanta on Sunday and see for ourselves how this family experience worked. It was awesome!

The virtue for that month was Patience. We learned that patience is waiting until later for what you want now. We learned that over a year ago. I still remember it. My son who was just finishing Kindergarten at that time still remembers it. We are still talking about patience when the situation arises (and does it ever arise). But the coolest thing for me is that I shared that experience with my kids. I knew what they had learned (and really, learned along with them). Then Brian and I were able to use the same language to talk about patience with our kids. And from that one experience we are still learning and growing and using what we learned.

All that from one hour one Sunday. Imagine the impact when we get to have that experience every week! And I've got to add here, because Micah knows what Kid Fusion is, because he's experienced it, he can't wait for it to start. Every week he's asking me when he gets to go to that "Kid thing".

2 comments:

mzmpodcast said...

I a children's pastor as well. I am very interested in this model and do see the potential. 1. How long is your regular worship service. 2. How long is Kid Fusion. 3. Do you do Kid Fusion every week? 4. How did you overcome objections by leaders and parents?

Shari said...

Wow, this is exciting that I'm connecting with you guys. I hadn't even been looking in my comments. I'll have to start doing that more often :)

1. As we move to 3 services on Sept. 17 each worship service will be 60 - 65 minutes.
2. The family production (Kid Fusion) is written to be about 45 minutes. We'll attempt to lengthen it to about 50-55 minutes, with an extra song, or by tweaking here and there. It will definitely be a learning process. We will also actually start 5 minutes after the official start time, to but a little more time. The location we will be doing Kid Fusion in is a 5 minute leisurely walk from the main lobby and auditorium, so we will also let out about 5 minutes earlier than the main service.
3. Yes, we will be doing Kid Fusion every week.
4. I am very, very fortunate in that my Senior Leadership really buys into this idea and is supporting me all the way. That doesn't mean there aren't issues and one that we're working very hard to get a handle on is letting people know there is not drop offs for kids 3 years - 5th grade during the 10 a.m. experience.
We feel the value of family is so great that we are going to stick to it, and it will outway the issues that arise.

We are encouraging our families to come to the 8:30 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. adult and kid worship experiences, and then to come together as families for Kid Fusion at 10 a.m. Kid Fusion does not take the place of adult worship or kids worship. Both of those are still very important as well.